Across print and digital media, I bring a thoughtful process and a sophisticated eye to my projects. I wholeheartedly believe good design starts with building strong relationships with my clients. I take a systematic and human-centered approach to my work and treat clients as collaborators throughout the entire process.
I strive for my design aesthetic to be beautiful yet timeless with strong visual order, effective typographic details, and a forward-looking point of view. Whether it’s a website or a book, I love bringing order to complex content and getting my hands dirty in the details.
This small, flexible team of one 🙋🏻 can expand when a job requires. I actively collaborate with a select group of specialists: developers, lettering artists, illustrators, photographers, printers, fabricators, and writers. I’m also open to collaborating with larger design teams when it’s the right fit.
I’m a designer and educator based in Baltimore, MD. My experience runs the gamut from digital product and responsive web design, to strategy and branding, to book and information design. The projects I enjoy the most involve systematic thinking, deep collaboration with colleagues and clients, and working toward a mission I can get behind.
I earned a BS in Visual Communication Design from The Ohio State University and an MFA in Graphic Design from the Maryland Institute College of Art, where I also serve as an adjunct professor in the Graphic Design MA program.
In addition to running this independent design practice, I’m appreciating the challenges and joys of parenting alongside my partner Will. In my downtime, I enjoy traveling, entertaining with family and friends, baking, letterpress printing, hiking, yoga, and crafting.
· Center for Urban Pedagogy
· Annie E. Casey Foundation
· Baltimore Museum of Art
· Johns Hopkins University
· Baltimore Museum of Industry
· MICA Office of Graduate Studies
· Station North Arts & Entertainment, Inc.
· Enterprise Community Partners
· The Atlantic
· Ashton Design, Senior Designer
· Happy Cog, Designer
· NPR Digital Media team, Intern (in grad school)
· President Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign, Senior Designer
· PieLab (pie shop/community space), Co-founder, with Project M
· Distinguished Alumni of the Department of Design at The Ohio State University
· Webby Awards
· Adobe Design Achievement Awards
· Under Consideration’s FPO
· Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Records for Life Contest, Honorable Mention
· Design Feast Interview
· AIGA Design Envy
· AIGA: 100 Years of Design “that Assist”
· Jon Stewart’s “The Daily Show”
· Design Ignites Change Award Winner
· “Community, Understanding and Pie,” Alissa Walker, Fast Company
· “The Healing Powers of a Pie Shop,” John T. Edge, New York Times Magazine
· Columbus Society of Communicating Arts: Creative Award of Excellence